The Banking Ombudsman Scheme is funded by scheme participants.
It is set up as a company governed by a Board on which scheme participants and consumers are represented with neither having a majority. The chair of the Board is independent of both scheme participants and consumers.
The main function of the Board is to ensure the independence of the Banking Ombudsman and to make sure that the Scheme is well-run and effective.
Ms Miriam Dean CNZM QC
Independent chair since June 2013
- Queen’s Counsel, company director; mediator and arbitrator
- Chair, NZ On Air
- Chair, Ministry of Justice Legal Aid Advisory Board
- Deputy Chair, Auckland Council Investments Limited
- Director, Crown Infrastructure Partners
- Trustee, Royal New Zealand Ballet
Mr Anthony Healy
Bank representative from April 2017.
Anthony Healy was appointed Managing Director and CEO of BNZ in May 2014.
As a career banker, Mr Healy brings considerable breadth and depth of experience across banking and financial services, having held a number of senior executive and director-level roles in a career spanning over 20 years in New Zealand, Australia, Asia and the Middle East. Past roles have included Director of BNZ Partners, CEO of UDC Finance Ltd and Deputy Group Managing Director of AmBank Group, Malaysia.
Mr Healy is a member of National Australia Bank’s Executive Leadership Team, a Trustee of the International Centre for Entrepreneurship Foundation and Co-Chair of Champions for Change. He is a past non-executive Director of JB Were (NZ), The Icehouse Limited, ICE Funds Limited and Chair of New Zealand Bankers Association.
Ms Suzanne Chetwin
Consumer representative since November 2007
- Chief Executive, Consumer New Zealand
- Trustee, Write Mark Plain English Awards
- Member, Online Media Standards Authority
- Director, Consumer Foundation
- Member, Electricity Authority Retail 'Advisory' Group
- Member, Enviro-Mark Solutions Advisory Panel
- Member, FSANZ - Consumer and Public Health Forum
- Member, Consumers International Justice and Protection Committee
- Member, Financial Markets Authority Consumer Advisory Group
Mr Daryl Johnson
Bank representative since August 2016
- Chief Executive Officer, Rabobank New Zealand Limited
Ms Kenina Court
Consumer representative since February 2016
- Chartered Accountant and Director, Pathfinder Solutions Limited
- Trustee, Pacific Business Trust
- Director, Oceania Career Academy Limited
- Trustee, New Zealand Business Excellence Foundation